Information on Internships
Before you post your internship please read the following important information.
Unpaid Internship Rules & Information:
We encourage our students to participate in internships during their time at the Academy of Art University, but we are also mindful of the government’s rules and regulations that apply to this kind of partnership between a student and the host company. We hope you will take a moment to read more about the legality of taking on interns at your company before you post with us.
Non-Profit Organization: Eligible to offer unpaid internships
For Profit Company/Organization: To be eligible to offer an unpaid internship, you will need to meet all six of the following criteria, please read carefully; these criteria are posted by the US Department of Labor:
- The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
- The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
- The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
- The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
- The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
» Post an Internship!